This beautiful property, surrounding a 16th century Medici villa, was
founded in 1923 by a descendant of the Venetian Fulignis. Although the wines
labels still bear that city’s symbol, the lion of St. Marco, the family has long
been thoroughly Tuscan. The present generations are Maria Flora Fuligni and
nephew Roberto Guerrini Fuligni, a.k.a Professor of Criminal Law at Siena
University, who styles the wines with oenologist Paolo Vagaggini.
property is on an almost continual strip on the eastern side of Montalcino,
divided into four vineyards: San Giovanni, Il Piano, Ginestreto and La
Bandita. Over the last decade, Roberto’s profound revision of the winery’s
quality criteria - drastically reduced crops and even stricter selection of
grapes that are vinified separately according to cru - have maximized the superb
potential of his terroir and propelled Fuligni to be amongst the finest in the
region. Stylistically, the wines capture the middle ground between modern
and traditional, bursting at the seams with plum and cherry fruit sustained by a
firm, full structure and polished tannins.